Make Gift Giving Special
7. Mother?s Day Tree. Set aside gift-giving time on Mother?s Day. Bring together the whole family to present their gifts to Mom as she opens them up in front of everybody. Make a ritual out of the occasion. A more elaborate gift-giving session could involve bringing in a seasonal ?Mother?s Day Tree.? This could even be an elegant houseplant or bonsai, for example. Place Mom?s gifts around the ?tree? the night before, after she goes to bed.
Romantic Gestures On Mother?s Day
8. Morning Mimosa. Champagne, freshly squeezed orange juice, ice, maybe a dash of grenadine: a mimosa in the morning will prepare your wife for a relaxing and carefree Mother?s Day.
9. Breakfast in Bed. Make sure you have everything ready the day before ? the tray, the coffee and the fixings for her favorite breakfast. Let her know that today she can stay in bed and enjoy breakfast as long as she wants.
10. Take her out dancing. Invite your wife out to a classy club or dance hall. Arrange a babysitter for the kids, and let her revel in an evening of careless abandon.
11. Give her a massage. Give Mom a stress-relieving backrub or massage. Even if you never learned shiatsu, gently pressing out the knots in her shoulders and back is an intimate, invigorating expression of your affection, love and appreciation.
12. Write her a song. And sing it to her. With or without musical accompaniment, a heartfelt ode to your wife and mother of your children will positively tickle her. Note: this is a very romantic gesture.
13. Buy her Lingerie. Let Mom know she is still a beautiful and sexy woman, in addition to being a wonderful Mother. Indulge her.
14. Take her out for a cocktail (or two). Arrange a babysitter for the kids and invite Mom to a swanky bar. Sipping cocktails is an ideal opportunity to enjoy hours of carefree, silly and spontaneous conversation with your wife.
Give Her the Gift of Your Time
15. Groom Yourself. Before going out on Mother?s Day, choose a nice suit, put on some cologne and shave your weekend shadow. Taking the time to look nice for your wife is a flattering gesture that won?t go unnoticed.
16. Recite a Poem. Select a poem that is illustrative of your love and appreciation for your wife. Or choose one of her personal favorites. Tip: Plan ahead by memorizing a short poem. Then surprise Mom while at a café or walking in the park. She will be impressed and flattered by the time and effort you?ve devoted to presenting her with a beautiful, inspiring poem?even if it?s only a stanza or two.
17. Give her an IOU. Promise Mom a day free of chores or two tickets to a local concert. IOU?s let Mom choose the time and place to redeem her Mother?s Day gift. She can use them right away, or wait until a more another time when she is more in need of a break.
18. Her wish, your command. Let her call the shots on Mother?s Day. Make sure she understands, on a fundamental level, that she needn?t shy away from any request. Her happiness is your happiness?and the whole family?s, for that matter.
19. Tell her you love her. A classic: thoughtful, free, and highly appropriate on Mother?s Day. Surprise her at a moment you normally wouldn?t say it, or let these be the first words she hears upon waking up: ?I love you.?
20. Write a Note. Leave her a kind note where you know she?ll find it. It?s up to you how long you want to make it. Whether it?s a lengthy treatise on your undying love, or a couple lines reminding her that she?s an excellent Mother, this is a powerful, surprising and flattering gesture, sure to delight her.